High altitudes, blustering winds and strong UV rays can result in dry, damaged hair which can take weeks to recover. Add a ski helmet into the mix and you get flat, lank hair that needs extra attention.
We’ve gathered together the best in luxury hair care products along with tips and advice on how to maintain your locks, without getting in the way of your skiing.
Your hair is your image, so take no chances this season. Here’s how to avoid helmet hair and protect your tresses on the slopes so you can look and feel the part at the après ski party.
The Pre-Holiday Treatment
Your skiing holiday hair care routine should start before you step onto the runway. By strengthening and conditioning your hair at home, you can avoid dry, brittle strands and frizzy flyaways on the slopes.
Applying a weekly hydrating hair mask a month before you leave can help keep hair strong and healthy for a sleek look at après ski.
Here are a few of our favourites;
– Kérastase’s range of hair masks offer custom formulas for all hair types, ensuring luscious locks at all times.
– The Quintessential hair mask from Leonor Greyl Paris is a cult beauty product loved for its powerful active ingredients like Cupuaçu Oil. Advertised as a ‘last resort’ for very dry, damaged hair, this mask is guaranteed to retain essential moisture.
– Aesop’s Rose Hair & Scalp Moisturizing Masque is perfect for revitalising coloured hair and soothing dry scalps.
Tip: Locking in moisture is even more important for long hair or fine hair which is more prone to breakages!
The Best Shampoos and Conditioners for Skiing
Once you’ve arrived at your destination, you’ll need a shampoo and conditioner set to lock in moisture and protect hair against the cold weather and high altitude.
Choose something rich with natural oils for maximum results:
– Aveda’s damage remedy hair care range helps to reconstruct damaged hair and protect against environmental exposure, ideal for taking to the slopes.
– OUAI employs smart technology to restore moisture and keep hair looking strong and healthy in all weather conditions.
– The Rahua shampoo and conditioner range is infused with plant-powered nutrients and comes in handy travel-sized bottles.
Ski Proof Hair Styling
When you’re hitting the slopes, you don’t want to be worrying about misbehaving hair. Equally, no one wants to remove their helmet after a long day on the mountain to reveal flat, tangled locks!
The solution – a clever up-do that keeps hair neat and tidy all day long.
Here are our favourite ways to style your hair for the slopes;
– An elegant chignon not only looks the part, but it keeps hair away from the face and doesn’t feel uncomfortable under a helmet. Keep it low on the neck for maximum comfort and added fashion points. You can even add a pair of ear warmers at après ski drinks on the mountain to stay warm without compromising on style.
– A French braid works well for longer hair and can be twisted up into a bun for your time on the slopes. It even creates a lovely wave when you take it down for the evening.
Sun Protection for Your Hair
We always recommend you wear a helmet whilst skiing, but for relaxing on the mountain, it’s important to protect your locks from the sun.
The easiest way to stay protected is with a hair spray containing SPF. Clarins offer an excellent sun spray with a wonderful, lightweight formula which is small enough to slip in the inside of your ski jacket.
Avoid Static with a Sleek Blow Dry
To avoid the static that comes with dried-out hair, a blow dry after washing can keep hair looking smooth and shiny.
Either do it yourself from the comfort of your ski chalet or take advantage of hair stylists that can be arranged to come to you.
Revitalise On-the-Go with Dry Shampoo
Not only can it absorb excess grease or sweat from an invigorating ski run, dry shampoo also works as a great volumizing boost for lank helmet hair.
Go for a travel sized spray that can fit neatly into your pocket for quick fixes on the slopes.
Tip: Short hair can really benefit from some added volume!
The Compact Hair Brush
For sleek, tangle free hair from slope to ski resort, a compact hair brush to take on-the-go is an essential item for your ski packing list.
We like the Touch Beauty Travel Brush for the hidden mirror and scalp massage settings!
The Post-Ski Hair Care Routine
Perfecting your post-ski hair routine is vital for achieving long-lasting glossy results.
Once back at your ski chalet, wash your hair with a hydrating shampoo and apply a leave-in conditioner while you relax by the fire. Next, give your hair a quick blow dry, style and you’re ready for the night ahead!
Don’t Forget the Rest!
It’s not just your hair that needs looking after on the slopes. Encountering strong UV rays and winds on your luxury ski holiday can cause havoc with skin.
To protect yourself against the elements, make sure you invest in a moisture-rich hand cream and lip balm with added SPF.
Perfect Hair for the After Party
A luxury skiing holiday is about a lot more than just skiing. The Three Valleys are home to glamorous bars, restaurants and boutiques and provide the perfect setting to show off your well-tended tresses!
To make the most of your holiday in the Alps, a stay in a luxury, catered ski chalet is the ultimate skiing indulgence. At Alpine Infusion, we’re dedicated to providing our guests with five-star service and top-of-the-range facilities – from saunas to sound systems.